WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Two-Factor Authentication on the Web

From: "Saqib Ali" <docbook.xml () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 06:56:46 -0700

Multiple shared secrets are not any more secure. Infact they
inconveneince the user.

If you don't want to distribute hardware tokens, take a look at
https://www.entrust.com/eval/demoguard/ Identity Guard by entrust
or Software Tokens by RSA

The Identity Guard is a real 2-factor authentication solution, but
instead of a hardware token it uses a paper card with numbers on it.
Each banking customer will have a unique card. However, unlike the
hardware token, the attacker can xerox the identity guard, without the
knowledge of the user. But this is still far better solution then
using "2 shared secret" scheme.

Software Tokens by RSA merely protect against password replay attacks.

-
Saqib Ali, CISSP, ISSAP
Support http://www.capital-punishment.net