WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Two-Factor Authentication on the Web

From: Pete Herzog <lists () isecom org>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 17:35:53 +0200

Hi,

What other controls, other then multifactor authentication, can
mitigate that risk?

I was hoping to see a good answer to this question.

While there are quite a few ways one can "authenticate" the root problem, to me, is Identification and Authorization which make up Authentication. If the same source for Identification is used and the same Authorization means is granted then any additional authentication factor really is kind of the same thing over the net. Sure, a token, dongle, fingerprint, timezone, location, software, etc. make things more difficult to make the attack, if the attacker can usurp the identity and the client, then the attack success is very high. Meaning, if you break into the house and use the banking info on that computer to make the attack your success chances will be much higher.

An additional channel whether it be SMS or telephone call-back can improve the chances authentication, this is still not even close to the type of authentication one can get in person.

Further discussion however, will show that physical presence is often over-rated because the people who do the identification and grant authorization can also be easily fooled. Risk of getting caught is not much higher for those people but the speed to repercussion is. Over the net, there is much less repercussion if denied: the difference between "Access Denied" on-line and "Hey, wait a minute while I get my manager" (as guard approaches).

I've been doing a lot of researching into Trusted Computing for the OpenTC project and it's clear that TC may not have the answer either, but it's not as bad. At least it closes the link between person and computer a bit better for the sake of identification.

I am interested in hearing from others though on replacement or enhancement security for authentication where identification and authorization are not weak links or the speed or level of repercussion is up there with the physical world.

-pete.