WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Two-Factor Authentication on the Web

From: Tim <pand0ra.usa () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 18:04:20 -0600

The 3 factors of authentication are:
Something you have (i.e. a token, card, etc)
Something you know (i.e. a password)
or
Something you are (i.e. a fingerprint, DNA, etc)

"But even when biometric authentication "works", it still does not
prove my _identity_, it just proves that I am who *I said* I am, which
is another thing entirely;"
Umm... I don't follow. How could your DNA (I would waver on this one
since I heard somewhere that twins could have the same DNA),
fingerprint, retinal scan, etc, not be unique to you and only you? Nor
am I buying the movie version of someone getting their finger cut off
by a thief for accessing their bank account or maybe I am
misunderstanding what you are trying to say. Currently, with ID theft
you don't see bad guys walking up to people on the street, point a gun
at them and demand their SSN, or credit cards do you?

Based on history, the tendency is to subvert the technology, not
attack people (in regards to personal information). Also, from what
some vendors have told me is that the technology requires blood
pressure in order to work correctly (but I have read that it can be
subverted by silly putty). Remember I am not saying that the
technology is perfect, I am saying the concept of biometrics is what
can valdate someones identity because it is something of us.