WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Environment for testing WebApp Security Scanners

From: René Palige <rwp () gmx de>
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2006 22:33:02 +0200

Hi!

I?m currently working on my bachelor thesis which is about the development of a testsuite for different Web Application Security Scanners. My goal is to provide an environment which can be used as a basis for testing and evaluating the performance of the many tools already existing. Consequently the main part of my work will be to implement different types of vulnerabilites in more or less realistic scenarios and with different characteristics. At the moment I?m planning to use OWASPs WebGoat as some kind of groundwork.
My questions:
Which "features" would you consider to be necessary or useful in this context? And what basic requirements do you see which should be met? Would it be best to focus on "real-life scenarios"? Or rather to cover as many aspects of a special class of vulnerabilities as possible?

Thanks in advance,
R. Palige