WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Environment for testing WebApp Security Scanners

From: "Gerald Quakenbush" <geraldq () mastermindsecuritygroup com>
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2006 21:40:24 -0400

See www.quakenbush.com for an App called MasterBugs - it may be useful for
your testing. I wrote the app (which is GNU licensed) as a companion to my
book.

I recently did a bake-off using the top three scanners / appsec toolkits on
the market. As *automated* scanners I was very disappointed. As toolsets in
the hands of a professional they have varying degrees of usefulness.

MasterBugs is "real", ie, it doesn't fake anything. It was originally a
proof-of-concept app for a real software package. I dumbed it down, added a
lot of bugs (some of the most fun I've had programming ...) and I use it as a
teaching tool. It is written in legacy ASP script and requires a SQL Server
v2000. There are hundreds of remotely exploitable vulnerabilities in it.

All of the automated scanners I tested failed to find even 10% of the flaws.

One advantage you might have (if you move quickly) is that I just released it
a couple months ago and the as of 3 weeks ago, the scanners didn't have
specific rules for this app.

Have fun...

-Gerald Quakenbush
Author of Web Hacker Boot Camp

Dean H. Saxe (dean () fullfrontalnerdity com) wrote:

Just remember, some vendors put in signatures specifically for apps
like this that they know will be tested.

I spoke with some folks at Blackhat last week from one of the tool
vendors that admitted they don't find all the vulnerabilities in
HacmeBank.  Why?  Because bypassing the login form using SQL
injection may require you to throw away the cookies which maintain
the login attempts state information.  For instance, if you try SQL
injection too many times and fail to login with those attempts, a
cookie which controls the remaining number of login attempts will
force all further attempts to fail.  Of course, a human would delete
the login attempt counter cookie and solve the problem quite simply.

I see this as a major weakness of these types of tools.  Developers
store all kinds of crap in cookies, without a good analysis of the
cookies by a human, how do we know when deleting this information
will adversely affect the application's security?  This is not an
edge case where such tools scan.  Its a very commonly revealed
vulnerability in my web app pen testing and code review experience.

(FWIW I work for Foundstone.)

-dhs

Dean H. Saxe, CISSP, CEH
dean () fullfrontalnerdity com
Here in America everything is bought and sold, you can get anything
for little bits of gold.
We'll rape the earth and ruin the air, cut down every tree from here
to there.
     -- Donna The Buffalo "America"