WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: Environment for testing WebApp Security Scanners

From: "Brokken, Allen P." <BrokkenA () missouri edu>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 09:25:51 -0500

You might also consider looking at Foundstone's Hacme suite of sites as a compliment to site generator.  I've found
that in testing scanners each methodology for building a site works different "muscles" in the scanner and having a
diverse back drop to test against is important.

Also, it has been useful to have someone unfamiliar with the various sites and scanners being tested do the actual
scanning.  I've found that having an intimate knowledge of the site and scanner can boost individual performance
drastically and compared to the same person using different tools on a site they are unfamiliar with.

You might consider bringing in classmates who are technical, but unfamiliar with the tools / sites to do at least one
round of your testing.  Most of the results/studies I've seen are done by highly trained professionals.  However, most
purchasers of scanners have not risen to that level yet.  So a study along those lines would be very useful.

Allen Brokken

Information Security and Account Management - IAT Services - University of Missouri -brokkena () missouri edu -
(573)884-8708