WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: Cookie poisoning without XSS

From: "Ory Segal" <osegal () watchfire com>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 20:08:06 +0300

Hi,

The term "Cookie Poisoning" usually refers to the act of manipulating
cookie values (in one's own HTTP session) in order to perform illegal
actions (e.g. SQL Injection, Session Hijacking, etc.), in web
applications that rely on cookie values, but do not properly validate
these values.

You can find a whitepaper on this subject in our web site:
https://www.watchfire.com/securearea/whitepapers.aspx?id=18

In addition, the following link presents additional information on
Cookie Poisoning:
http://www.imperva.com/application_defense_center/glossary/cookie_poison
ing.html

XSS attacks may enable a malicious user to steal cookies from other
users, as well as perform many other things through the injection of
malicious client-side scripts (e.g. JavaScript, VBScript, etc.)

Hope this helps,
-Ory Segal