WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: [WEB SECURITY] RE: Environment for testing WebApp Security Scanners

From: Albert <caruabertu () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 12:27:48 +0200

While monoculture tests can, at present, be only a part of the entire
test suite, the need to create secure applications will no doubt, in a
manner analogous to the standardization of mechanical components,
results in a massive reduction in the degrees of freedom available to
application developers - they shall increasingly need to be able to
use standard tools and standard components to create different
applications.

One way of forcing their hand could be to develop an excellent and
reliable test matrix and method which is suitable for one set of tools

Industry pressure will however only come about when there is a
financial or legal penalty for the failure of applications as at
present it is usually the users not the developers of an application
who suffer if the application fails.

George Bernard Shaw "A reasonable man adapts himself to his
environment. An unreasonable man persists in attempting to adapt his
environment to suit himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the
unreasonable man."