WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Why doesn't Amazon enforce a password policy?

From: Tom Whiting <wolf () wolfstream net>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 07:32:01 -0500

Any time I run into organizations like this which require users to change their passwords every XXX amount of days, I
leave. It doesn't matter HOW long I've been a customer of theirs, I simply leave. Why?

Firstly, this is an insecure method of doing things. Users choose their own passwords, for a reason. They shouldn't be
required to change their passwords every 30, 60, 90, whatever days. If they do, there's more of a chance that it will
get written down, which means that there's more of a chance that someone will "stumble across it", meaning that it's
less secure than relying on the brain. Put all the "password recovery" systems in there you want, this is still going
to get written down, and it's less secure

Secondly, this is an insult to your users. It takes something that is THEIR responsibility and makes it YOURS. It's
like saying "I'm sorry, but YOUR passwords are too weak, OURS are better, you MUST abide by our password rules". No, as
a customer, I must NOT. The internet is a large place, and there are PLENTY of individuals out there who aren't as anal
as this about security. My money would simply go there.

Thirdly, this isn't about "security", this is about forcing users to use YOUR policies, which are outdated and entirely
too strict. Unless you are processing government sensitive data, there is no reason you should ever force your users to
change their passwords, ever.

Take a look at the leaders in this industry. Paypal, ebay, amazon, tigerdirect, newegg. Do they require users to change
their password every XXX days? No, they do not. Why? Because they respect their customers, and allow THEM to choose to
change their passwords. Do away with requiring a non alpha-numeric symbol if you have that, as well, because that's not
"good password enforcement', it's the same as above.

Personally, I have set of 5-10 passwords that I have used for years. None of these compare to today's supposed
"standards", yet they're all strong enough to be secure in their own right. I find it an insult when a site like this
forces me to change something that I PERSONALLY know is secure enough, and have been for years.

Now, if you have proof that your customer's account is "hacked", or has been used without their permission, yes, by all
means, force a password change. This should be the ONLY time, however, that this is done, not on a "whim", certainly
not set forth by some security policy that will do nothing but annoy users.

In the end, why do these companies NOT force their customers to change their password every XXX days? They realize that
there are plenty of other ways to enforce security, and this one, minor way will cause more grief than it's worth.

There is a small war going on where I work.  I am trying to get a
password policy enforced for our web applications and certain
business leaders are opposing it.  There are two areas of
opposition:

1. Minimum password length of 6 (currently 4, 6 was going to be a
compromise). 2. Expiration of passwords (currently none).

Strength requirements on the password content seems to be ok with
them.

These leaders compare our business with Amazon (a bit of a reach
but we go with it for argument's sake) and their main argument for
not enforcing a minimum password length and password expiration is
that Amazon doesn't do it.

How should I go about convincing them that Amazon.com is wrong and
the fact that they haven't had a severe account breach is no reason
not to implement a policy ourselves?  Or, to play devil's advocate
with myself, if I'm wrong, why doesn't Amazon enforce a password
policy?

On a side note, the development work for implementing the policy is
already done.  It was done as part of a separate project and just
not turned on until this argument could be resolved so there will
be almost no development cost associated with implementing the
policy.

Thanks for your feedback.

James Strassburg

Hackers continue to add billions to the cost of doing business
online despite security executives' efforts to prevent malicious
attacks. This whitepaper identifies the most common methods of
attacks that we have seen, and outlines a guideline for developing
secure web applications. Download our The Twelve Most Common
Application-level Hack Attacks whitepaper today!

https://www.watchfire.com/securearea/whitepapers.aspx?id=701500000008Y
---------