WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Why doesn't Amazon enforce a password policy?

From: Peter Conrad <conrad () tivano de>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 10:52:58 +0200

Hi,

Am Dienstag, 24. Oktober 2006 19:34 schrieb James Strassburg:

How should I go about convincing them that Amazon.com is wrong and the
fact that they haven't had a severe account breach is no reason not to
implement a policy ourselves?  Or, to play devil's advocate with myself,
if I'm wrong, why doesn't Amazon enforce a password policy?

as usual, you have to compare the cost of the change to the benefits.
The cost is that more complicated password procedures *will* drive
some users (potential customers) away. The benefit is that fewer user
accounts will be hacked. So how big is the damage that can be done
through a hacked user account, and how likely is it that a hacker will
actually create that much damage?

IMO, for Amazon the potential damage is medium (the attacker can
order lots of stuff for someone else), and the likelihood is low
(because the attacker can't draw a profit from the attack). OTOH,
1% fewer customers due to "complicated" password requirements
would be a big loss to Amazon.

So while Amazon's reasoning may be perfectly valid, it's not
necessarily valid for you. It depends on your situation.

(Apart from that, I wouldn't vote for password expiry, especially
not in a web application. How do you deal with expired accounts?
Delete them? Notify users before expiry? Whatever you do, it adds
to the "cost" side of the argument.)

Bye,
        Peter
--
Peter Conrad                        Tel: +49 6102 / 80 99 072
[ t]ivano Software GmbH             Fax: +49 6102 / 80 99 071

Germany