WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: 2-factor auth for all

From: "Nick Owen" <nowen () wikidsystems com>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 07:39:56 -0400

seems like 2 factor auth (one time password) using token will
be soon available to the general consumer soon.

SanDisk will be adding the functionality of
one-time-password, dubbed 'TrustedSignins', in their
TrustedFlash device.

Verisign, and RSA are working with SanDisk to build this
platform, which might put an end to phishing

See:
http://www.sandisk.com/Corporate/PressRoom/PressReleases/Press
Release.aspx?ID=3569

Saqib:

Accessible 2-factor authentication is great, but a couple of points:

1. It is unclear how this solution is more secure than just storing the
token in a PKS12 store on a USB drive.

2. Without mutual authentication, phishing attacks will still occur.

3. Even with mutual strong authentication, out-of-band transaction
authentication may be needed to thwart trojans.

In, fact I would argue that it would be better to validate transactions only
with 2-factor.  I would also argue that availablility has not been the issue
in the lack of deployments.

--
Nick Owen
CEO