WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: 2-factor auth for all

From: Nick Owen <nowen () wikidsystems com>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 11:55:37 -0400

Saqib Ali wrote:
2. Without mutual authentication, phishing attacks will still occur.

Excellent point! I totally agree with this. In fact I covered this
topic in my blog in September with reference to a study done by a TPM
manufacturer. See:
http://www.xml-dev.com/blog/index.php?action=viewtopic&id=243

I don't really consider machine authentication to be mutual
authentication. I'd say that the host needs to be authenticated to the
user, based on some cryptographically secure mechanism.

--
Nick Owen
WiKID Systems, Inc.