WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: Why doesn't Amazon enforce a password policy?

From: "Brooks, Shane" <SBrooks () orangelake com>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 13:40:17 -0400

Hi James,

Amazon doesn't enforce password policies because, to be cut-and-dry
about it,  that is not their business.  It's not their concern if you
use your birthday or your kid's names as passwords to your account.
They don't have and don't need to have the staff necessary to field
customer complaints because someone was forced to change their password
last week and now can't remember it, or to explain to a customer what
'password complexity' is and why it is important.  Why can they
successfully do business this way?  They clearly point out business
policies under their "Conditions of Use":

<snip>
YOUR ACCOUNT

If you use this site, you are responsible for maintaining the
confidentiality of your account and password and for restricting access
to your computer, and you agree to accept responsibility for all
activities that occur under your account or password.
</snip>

That's my take on it anyway,

SB