WebApp Sec mailing list archives

RE: Login credentials and session id security

From: "Abhishek Kumar" <abhishek.kumar () paladion net>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2007 10:12:26 +0530

Hi Vishal,

Following are my responses to your query,

What is the most secure method of sending the login credentials to the
server? The answer is "POST" method, as anything sent using POST is not
cached in the browser's history. On the other hand values sent using GET can
be seen in the links which are cached in browser's history.

How should the login credentials be encrypted so that they are not
compromised? Well SSL achieves the encryption requirements of entire http
data. However as you mentioned, the login credentials can be captured using
a web proxy or even through the system memory. Here is a paper which talks
about memory exploits
(http://paladion.net/pdf/Discovering_Passwords_In_Memory.pdf). So the best
way to encrypt and send login credentials is to use "Salted Hash" technique.
You can read the details salted hash here
(http://plynt.com/blog/2005/07/searching-memory-for-secrets-w/) and here
(http://www.aspheute.com/english/20040105.asp).

Regarding session management, there are many security aspects to be looked
into. I may not be able to cover all here, but would recommend you to go
through the following paper for detailed information
(http://www.sans.org/reading_room/whitepapers/webservers/1594.php).

Thanks
Abhishek