WebApp Sec mailing list archives

rating TRACE

From: Robin Wood <robin@digi.ninja>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2014 16:19:17 +0000

I've always given TRACE enabled a rating of low in my reports and I
know other testers who don't even bother reporting it but a client has
asked for a CVSS score for it and in Googling I found that Rapid 7
rate it as a 6.0, that is high end of medium.

http://www.rapid7.co.uk/db/vulnerabilities/http-trace-method-enabled

Looking at the metrics they give it does appear to be a reasonable
score and checking on the calculator I get a 5.8

http://nvd.nist.gov/cvss.cfm?calculator&version=2&vector=%28AV:N/AC:M/Au:N/C:P/I:P/A:N%29

I know newer browsers can't make TRACE requests through JavaScript but
there is a commeon the OWASP site about potentially using Java to make
the call. In my opinion if you've got Java running on a client machine
then TRACE isn't what you are likely to be thinking about.

https://www.owasp.org/index.php/Cross_Site_Tracing

I'm curious what others think, do you rate TRACE as low or medium?

Robin

This list is sponsored by Cenzic
Let Us Hack You. Before Hackers Do!
It's Finally Here - The Cenzic Website HealthCheck. FREE.
Request Yours Now!
http://www.cenzic.com/2009HClaunch_Securityfocus