WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: RES: rating TRACE

From: Simon Ward <simon () westpoint ltd uk>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2014 13:13:07 +0000

On 2014-11-13 11:59, Robin Wood wrote:
Moving from TRACE to more complex or harder to understand bugs just
makes this worse and more subjective. I wish I could suggest a way to
fix it so everyone was rating based on the same levels. I know some
people aren't optimistic about CVSSv3 being able to help fix it, I've
not looked at it yet but lets hope it moves us a step closer. Anyone
else have any ideas?

Don't use the CVSS base score by itself as a metric. Unfortunately, the scoring in the NVD and standards that require it encourage it.

There was talk about the possibility of "chaining" vulnerabilities in CVSS 3. Each vulnerability would still be given an independent score, but guidance would be given on how to score a vulnerability introduced by combining other vulnerabilities.

Simon

This list is sponsored by Cenzic
Let Us Hack You. Before Hackers Do!
It's Finally Here - The Cenzic Website HealthCheck. FREE.
Request Yours Now! http://www.cenzic.com/2009HClaunch_Securityfocus