Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: [Wireshark-dev] radius dictionary -> segfault

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 19:31:37 -0800

On Dec 9, 2009, at 6:29 PM, Mihaly Zachar wrote:

I don't have it yet if you need I can do, but if you try it I'm almost
sure that you can reproduce the problem, because we tried it on multiple
PCs and on a Mac as well, with the same result.

I couldn't get it to crash - but Bill Meier found the problem; it was an uninitialized pointer structure member.  It
might have been that, when I tried it, the chunk of data allocated for the data structure in question was
freshly-allocated, and thus all zero, so that the pointer happened to be null.  He reproduced it on Windows, and the
allocator might stuff bogus values into freshly-allocated memory, causing a crash.  It might also happen if enough
memory gets allocated and freed, so that the chunk of data allocated for the data structure has junk in it, giving a
bad pointer.

A fix has been checked in, initializing the pointer member in question to a null pointer:

        http://anonsvn.wireshark.org/viewvc/trunk/epan/dissectors/packet-radius.c?r1=31221&r2=31220&pathrev=31221

and is targeted for the 1.2.5 and 1.0.11 releases.