Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Should payload dissectors' (RTP) packets depend on call-setup dissectors' (SIP) packets?

From: Richard Sharpe <realrichardsharpe () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2012 11:51:05 -0700

On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 11:44 AM, Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws () gmail com> wrote:
One of the more frequently asked questions/reported bugs is users filtering
for RTP, saving^W exporting those displayed packets, then opening the new
capture file only to find plain UDP.  This is because the call-setup
protocol (e.g., SIP) wasn't included in the display filter.

Now we have the ability to mark frames as dependent on others.  Should, for
example, RTP frames mark the call-setup frames as dependencies?  (I noticed
that RTP has a Setup Frame field; would one frame really be enough?)

An alternative, but more radical approach, might be to export the
state that is needed to correctly dissect the packets.

We could lobby for an additional application-specific state record in
pcap-ng or an application-specific option field. The state could be an
asn.1 encoded blob, or whatever.

--
Regards,
Richard Sharpe