Wireshark mailing list archives

GIT tutorials (was: Re: Fix bug in GSM MAP, have problems with GIT)

From: Hadriel Kaplan <hadriel.kaplan () oracle com>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2014 13:47:44 -0400

On Mar 11, 2014, at 1:18 PM, Christopher Maynard <Christopher.Maynard () gtech com> wrote:

If possible, add some information/basic steps on a few more topics as well?
For example:
1) How do you undo a commit, or undo part of a commit?

You can reset the head, but I really think going there requires reading the book. :)

2) How do you apply someone else's patch for testing before committing?

Gerrit actually shows you what to do on the review web page - in each Patch Set it has a "Download" line, with
something like this:
git fetch https://code.wireshark.org/review/wireshark refs/changes/02/602/2 && git checkout FETCH_HEAD

You can copy that and paste it in your shell - though I usually create a local branch to do that in, rather than the
detached head state done by that command.  So I do this instead:
git fetch https://code.wireshark.org/review/wireshark refs/changes/02/602/2
git checkout -b new-branch-name FETCH_HEAD

3) How to backport to other trunks?

That's currently documented in:
http://wiki.wireshark.org/Development/Backporting

But that's written from the perspective of someone going through the submission process - not of a core developer doing
the cherry-pick.

4) How do you know if someone has a fix or not?  With subversion, they'd
indicate they're running svn r51234, for example, and then you could tell
them that they need to update to at least r52345.  With git, how does this
work with hashes?

That would be good to know - because so far it seems people've been using the first ~6 characters of the commit hashes,
but I'm not sure if that's right or not.

-hadriel