Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Conflicts: field in commit messages

From: Bálint Réczey <balint () balintreczey hu>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2014 19:58:58 +0100

On 7 October 2014 19:29, Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu> wrote:
        2) somebody resolved the conflicts but forgot to edit the commit message.

I think this is wrong meaning  of this git feature. In my opinion
"Conflicts: " should not be deleted, because it is added by git after
resolving conflicts, so it does not mean that file has conflicts but
"there were conflicts in specified files, they was solved, but this
commit may be not compatible with original commit in these files"
(please note: there can be "Conflicts: FILE_NAME" on file that is not
in commit. This is possible because conflicts can be solved in way
that file is unchanged in that branch [quite often case])
+1