Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Conflicts: field in commit messages

From: Michal Labedzki <michal.labedzki () tieto com>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2014 09:17:34 +0200

I think that "Conflicts:" should be kept. It has some values. It means
that cherry-pick/merge is not clean, so human or machine try to
resolve conflicts. It may fail. Also Conflicts say: "be careful, maybe
you do not want to cherry-pick this commit" (or... maybe you want this
commit if destination branch is close to branch with this cherry-pick
[so maybe no/or less number of conflicts]).

Also I propose to use "git cherry-pick -x"
 when do cherry-pick to non-main branches (like master-1.10, etc.) See
"       -x
           When recording the commit, append a line that says "(cherry
picked from commit ...)" to the original commit message in order to
           indicate which commit this change was cherry-picked from.
This is done only for cherry picks without conflicts. Do not use this
option
           if you are cherry-picking from your private branch because
the information is useless to the recipient. If on the other hand you
are
           cherry-picking between two publicly visible branches (e.g.
backporting a fix to a maintenance branch for an older release from a
           development branch), adding this information can be useful."