Wireshark mailing list archives

Compiling with or without extcap

From: Dario Lombardo <dario.lombardo.ml () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2018 13:40:38 +0100

During some reviews it went out again the point of compiling without pcap
and without extcap. We've discussed a lot about pcap, but not that much
about extcap.
Extcap is the feature to plug external modules, then it's not a core part,
nor a mandatory feature. But it doesn't hurt: also without actual external
modules, wireshark works perfectly fine with extcap support, doesn't it?
Moreover it doesn't depend on any external library.
What about removing the conditional compilation for extcap? That would
relieve the need for supporting another conditional compilation besides
pcap. I'd like to hear some opinion, taking one side or another.
Cheers,
Dario.