Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: 2.6 branch planning and post-branch changes

From: Graham Bloice <graham.bloice () trihedral com>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2018 11:10:53 +0000

On 14 March 2018 at 20:41, Gerald Combs <gerald () wireshark org> wrote:

I plan on releasing 2.5.1 tomorrow and I've tentatively scheduled creating
the 2.6 branch on April 2, followed by 2.6.0 on April 18.

As discussed previously we'll drop support for Qt 4 and GTK+ in the master
branch after master-2.6 is created. Unless there are strong objections I'd
like to bump the minimum GLib version to 2.32.

Should we remove GTK+ options from the Windows (and macOS?) installers for
2.6, considering we haven't built that version for a while?

I'd also like your opinion on doing the following:

Deprecating or removing Autotools. We'd need generate source tarballs
using another method, e.g. tools/git-export-release.sh.

Shipping the Windows installers with Npcap.

+1 as an option, I don't think we can drop WinPcap until the npcap
distribution issues have been sorted out.  The build should also allow
configuration such that npcap isn't used\included, again because of the
distribution issues.

Renaming protocols to match current reality, e.g. "bootp" to "dhcp" and
"ssl" to "tls".

--
Graham Bloice