Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: 2.6 branch planning and post-branch changes

From: Stephen Donnelly <Stephen.Donnelly () endace com>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2018 22:09:09 +0000

Gerald Combs wrote:

As discussed previously we'll drop support for Qt 4 and GTK+ in the master
branch after master-2.6 is created. Unless there are strong objections I'd like
to bump the minimum GLib version to 2.32.

Is there any reason to drop support for older versions of Qt 5 - which would
mean dropping support for, at minimum, Mac OS X Snow Leopard?

Requiring 5.2 or later would let us remove most of our QT_VERSION_CHECKs.

Minimum versions of Qt 5.2 and Glib 2.28 should support back to:

EL6 + EPEL
Fedora 18
SLES 12
OpenSUSE 13.2
Debian Jessie
Ubuntu trusty (14.04LTS)

https://wiki.wireshark.org/Development/Support_library_version_tracking

If you wanted to be more aggressive with Wireshark 3.0, what would the support policy for 2.6 be? Long enough to cover
RHEL6 (2020/11) and Ubuntu 16.04LTS (2021)? Or maybe LTS support is not Wireshark's problem?

Stephen