Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Suggestions Needed

From: Justin_Andrusk () progressive com
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 14:31:23 -0500

BSD is the way to go.

http://www.defcon1.org/~ghostrdr/FreeBSD-STABLE_and_IPFILTER.html

Regards,

/Justin/
"Linux and I have a love/hate relationship.  I hate its complexity until I
figure out how something works, then I love its power."

                      Justyn

                      <dragon@dlance.c         To:      security-basics () securityfocus com

                      om>                      cc:

                                               Subject: Suggestions Needed

                      02/25/2003 12:55

                      AM

I'm a home user rather new to firewalls. I have a spare pc I want to use
as a firewall machine for our local lan of 2 workstations w/cable modem.
I'm wanting a linux/unix flavor os for the firewall system. Would I be
better off using a stripped down os that is tailored for firewall
machines or something like redhat/freebsd? Would would anyone suggestion
as a starting place to learn.

Thanks!