Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Suggestions Needed

From: "Mike Powell" <mpowell () barry ac uk>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 19:52:59 -0000

I use Smoothwall (www.smoothwall.org), a version of which is free for
non-profit use and can be up and running from start of installation to
running and configured in about 6 minutes(!).  I recommend version GPL 1.0
which is currently stable and includes VPN, port forwarding, web
proxy/cache, intrusion detection, DHCP, DMZ, works with ethernet or cable
modems and is configurable through a web interface.  Brilliant!  And no, I
don't work for the company ;-)

It's based on Linux kernel 2.2 (unstable version 2.0 is based on kernel 2.4)
and VPN uses freeswan which is interoperable with many serious firewalls.

Can't recommend it enough . . .

HTH

Mike