Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: SSL message broken

From: perry () piermont com (Perry E. Metzger)
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 1995 23:32:13 -0400

"Mark (Mookie)" writes:
Repercussions: Well, let me say this... Actual repercussions are up to
the reader. Well's Fargo has just started allowing account manipulations
via Netscape and a secure server.

There are only limited repercussions, the SSL that was broken was the 40
bit key exportable version that NetScape are forced to sell to non US
citizens. The domestic version uses 128 bit keys and so is virtually
impossible to break.

You haven't been looking, have you. The "domestic" version that 99% of
the public gets is the export version because they can't make the
"domestic" version available for download -- its only available for
sale. Almost every person using Netscape uses the "export" version.

Normal SSL is fine,

Actually, I have my doubts on that too....

Perry