Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: CERT Alert on new sendmail bug - any info?

From: fitz () wang com (Tom Fitzgerald)
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 1995 13:54:58 EDT

I just got the new sendmail bug alert from CERT, and of course
it may affect my configuration - which leads to the question, does
anybody know what the problem is so I can temporarily defend my system?

I don't have any real information, but my guess is that this is the same
problem as [8lgm]-Advisory-17.UNIX.sendmailV5-2-May-1995, and that use of
smrsh is an excellent defense against the bug.

8lgm hasn't published an exploit for this problem, even though they said
they passed the exploit on to CERT over three months ago.

It's a shame to have to give up IDA....  V8 doesn't do username-hiding
nearly as well.

--
Tom Fitzgerald   1-508-967-5278   Wang Labs, Billerica MA, USA   fitz () wang com