Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Residence Questions

From: "Caruso, Holly" <hcaruso () RICHMOND EDU>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 11:22:40 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Fontaine [mailto:chris.fontaine () HUMBER CA]
Sent: Monday, October 04, 2004 3:37 PM
To: SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU
Subject: [SECURITY] Residence Questions

With the new school year in gear ..... and double our res connections,
there
are a few questions we have around Residence Halls and what other
institutions
are doing to provide reliable, secure conectivity to the same.

1. What type of connection supplies res halls (bandwidth etc.)? 10/100
switched to each pillow

2. Is the residence connected in any way to the institute network, or is
it on
a separate feed? Do you outsource your residence connection? on campus
network

3. What technology is is place to stop (if any) peer-to-peer sharing
etc? Packeeteer to limit P2P not blocked.

4. Do you get complaints from RIAA, MPAA, etc? yes occasionally 1 or 2 a
month

5. How many users are connected in res halls? about 2800

6. Are users authenticated? By what means? not necessarily every time
they turn on their systems- they have AD logins to get to some services,
but all systems must be registered through computer registration process

7. Are user machines inspected before connection is allowed? Yes - via a
web page computer registration.  Windows systems must have OS patches
installed and our AV installed before full access granted

8. Are res halls bound by Service Level Agreements / Policies? no

9. What is the guaranteed uptime of res halls (if a guarantee is made at
all)? none

10. Are res halls supported by the institue helpdesk, or does the res
hall have
its own helpdesk?. Institution HD for wiring and general connectivity.
Computer OS and hardware problems are handled as walk in traffic to HD
as best effort to determine cause of problem.  Will work with student to
fix what we can and send them to offsite technical help for what we
can't (parts etc)

11. What is the demarcation point for responsibility to the institute
(switch port, wall jack)? Network services will make sure it works to
the computer, after that HD can look and help students with computer
problems.

12. What are the policy (if policy exists) actions for gross network
abuse? We have to option of disconnecting the students if they are
causing a problem.  We work with the student deans offices when
appropriate to the offence.

Any information you could provide would be GREATLY appreciated....

Chris Fontaine

===
"How is "education" supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every
time I
learn something new,
 it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Like when I took that home
winemaking course,
 and I forgot how to drive...." - Homer Simpson
===
Chris Fontaine
Digital Information Protection & Security,

Humber College
Information & Technology Services
205 Humber College Blvd
Toronto, Ontario, Canada