Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Re: Anybody Recognize These Uploads?

From: "R. DuFresne" <dufresne () sysinfo com>
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2003 02:17:59 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 3 Jan 2003, Gwendolynn ferch Elydyr wrote:

On Fri, 3 Jan 2003, R. DuFresne wrote:
With regards to Internet security, there's enough blame to go
around that it's silly to single out a single target.

Yet, without 'targeting" how does one push for a *fix* to the situation as
it now remains?  Lusers will perhaps never *get it*, so, you point and
push techie oriented folks in the hopes they can lern up and finally do
get it.  Or is there a better solution?

I happen to disagree completely with your presumption that users can never
be educated. If we don't take the time to teach them, we'll never see
desirable results. If we instead spend our time brushing them off, and/or
treating them like ignoramouses, we reap the harvest that we sew.

IMHO, if I can teach my _mother_ (not at all computer literate) to
understand basic security concepts, there's hope for the future.

It's okay to disagree, and yet, if lusers could learn so well, we;d
certainly see far less trouble with e-mail viruses.  Yet, there are many
that can tell tales of repeat corporate infestations, often from the same
middle-manager or group.  Re-education of lusers to the e-mail virus
threat alone tends to be a big budget item.  There's at least one company
<that contacted me via this list if I recall, not long ago> that makes
it's profits from outsourcing by the corporate worlds, training their
lusers for them.  Commonsense seems to drop 50+ points once a person is
cubicled, unless it's something that eminates from the florescent
fixtures.  That ole "it's someone elses job/responsibility" seems to take
hold.

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne
--
        admin & senior security consultant:  sysinfo.com

"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation."
                -- Johnny Hart

testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!