Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Re: Anybody Recognize These Uploads?

From: Christopher Hicks <chicks () chicks net>
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2003 11:59:42 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 4 Jan 2003, Paul D. Robertson wrote:
On Sat, 4 Jan 2003, Christopher Hicks wrote:
We've never had e-mail virus troubles with the ones that stuck with
Netscape, Eudora, or switched to Linux desktops.  The only solution for
the Outlook diehards was filtering at the server, but that only helps
after the anti-virus vendors have had long enough to get a fix out.

Not really, most of the common executable types can be filtered without
worrying about signatures.  If you're allowing unzipped executables in,
you probably need your head examined at this point in time for anything
that's not a pure Linux shop, and even then, wine's getting a bit too
good...  If you're allowing .pif and .scr, well...

True enough.  We have been using MailScanner ( www.mailscanner.info ) for
virus checking and spam checking, but it filters on configurable
extensions as well.  It comes with a reasonable set of defaults that
includes the above.  I can see that most would differentiate virus
checking and extention filtering, but for me they all came in the same
ball of wax.

--
</chris>

Programming is a Dark Art, and it will always be. The programmer is
fighting against the two most destructive forces in the universe:
entropy and human stupidity. They're not things you can always
overcome with a "methodology" or on a schedule.
                -Damian Conway, Perl God