Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Re: Anybody Recognize These Uploads?

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2003 22:33:30 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 4 Jan 2003, Christopher Hicks wrote:

Outlook is.  A number of the e-mail viruses that spread like the plague
didn't require any user interaction whatsoever so user education was
certainly not relevant.  Even people who are admins and certainly know

Yet, a good number of the more successful ones were not auto-executing.
In fact, I think it's almost safe to say the worst outbreaks of the last
couple years have been "click to execute" types.  Anna Kournikova springs
immediately to mind as a canonical example, but I'm sure I could dig up a
lot more if I went back through our early warnings to customers.  If I
recall correctly, the last two virus variants that got any traction were
both click-to-run (pif/scr/exe)'s.

We've never had e-mail virus troubles with the ones that stuck with
Netscape, Eudora, or switched to Linux desktops.  The only solution for
the Outlook diehards was filtering at the server, but that only helps
after the anti-virus vendors have had long enough to get a fix out.

Not really, most of the common executable types can be filtered without
worrying about signatures.  If you're allowing unzipped executables in,
you probably need your head examined at this point in time for anything
that's not a pure Linux shop, and even then, wine's getting a bit too
good...  If you're allowing .pif and .scr, well...

The number of crazy, kludgy solutions that folks have thought-up and
attempted to mitigate what's really just a really badly implemented MUA is
awe-inspiring.  We had one client that would have their server shut-down
it's port on the etherswitch and unmount their data drives any time a
virus was detected on the LAN.  All for the love of Outlook.

Actually, we've seen fairly good spreads in large companies from Webmail
clients too over the last 2 or so years.  Especially for multi-vector
worms after signatures are at the gateway.

Paul