funsec mailing list archives

Re: Rita and panic gas buying

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rslade () sprint ca>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 11:32:32 -0800

Date sent:              Thu, 22 Sep 2005 20:43:50 +0200
From:                   Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>

Actually, some would say this is good for Global Economy. The US is fat
on oil with rather low prices (that you bitch about anyway). US and
China are the two biggest consumers of oil in the world and both should
probably curve their enthusiasm. At the US by getting gas prices higher.

This will get me flames, but it's what every analyst out there would
agree on.

I agree that you'll probably get some flames, but you're right.

I find it highly ironic that those on the "right" side of the socio-political spectrum
are always lauding the "invisible hand of the market"--until they get hit in the
pocketbook.  North American farmers tend to be a fairly independent,
"government hands off" group--until you talk about ending farm subsidies.  Not to
knock people involved in farming: they are hardworking and generally very able.
And lots of other groups do exactly the same thing.  Everybody seems to have a
blind spot to the factors that (sometimes unfairly) support them.

Canadian oil prices are somewhat above those in the US (despite the fact that we
*export* oil to the US!), but still relatively low compared to the rest of the world.
 People around here have been screaming at the recent increases.  I have to drive
more than most, but I'd still be willing to get gas prices to realistic world levels
here.  (Might get some of the *%^*&^ SUVs off the road.)

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca      slade () victoria tc ca      rslade () sun soci niu edu
               That thought got run over as it was crossing my mind.
http://victoria.tc.ca/techrev    or    http://sun.soci.niu.edu/~rslade