funsec mailing list archives

Re: new list: closed-membership tech feed for CISO's

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 18:53:32 -0400

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 16:36:24 +0200, Gadi Evron said:
Hi. Recently I made a point about CISO's being good security folks,
and talented, yet completely clueless aside to what vendors feed them as
to the threats and technologies out there.

I am in a position to relay quite a bit of technological information, as
well as data on new threats, as they emerge.

Note that you probably want a certain critical mass of clued non-CISO people with
somewhat divergent opinions.

I'm one of the resident uber-techy geeks at our site.  Randy however has all
the public speaking and people skills.  I don't know how to get senior secretaries
to Do The Right Thing, and Randy likewise doesn't quite get why being able to
create a zero-length VMA in the Linux kernel can be a Bad Thing.  One of our
ISO's greatest skills is in realizing that Randy can be wrong, and that I am
likewise fallible, but if *both* of us say something is a good idea, then it's
probably something he needs to get up to speed on, because it means that neither
of us has pointed out in detail to the other how the idea is full of manure....