funsec mailing list archives

Re: A bioterror attack in World of Warcraft.

From: Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 08:57:04 +0200

Roland Dobbins wrote:

There's a lot of food for thought, here:

http://www.collisiondetection.net/mt/archives/2005/09/ _dig_this_an_eb.html

A must read indeed.

Moving beyond this story being cool, I'd like to actually discuss what we can learn from it.

I don't think establishing such games to learn how diseases spread can really teach us much beyond being a sweet treat to someone working on their Ph. D. There are a lot of metrics that can be collected here and therefore this can be interesting for many different research purposes, from the spread of diseases to comparisons between the biological and computers world.

I believe that looking at the ways the online game tries and will try to *cope* with the problem is by far more interesting.

So far we have seen "local authorities" try to quarantine users, as well as some other such measures. But what can really be done?

I suppose it all depends on the game and the capabilities of the software manufacturer and server managers to modify it "unfairly", which is basically what most game manufacturers try and prevent.

If they could wipe the disease out they would have by now (I hope), so, what could they potentially do?

They could use the band-aid approach and send the game a new item, much like they send a new monster. Widely distributing healing potions and/or something that will heal this particular epidemic.

They could do (potentially), a global "blessing" of sort to heal everybody.

Whatever it is they do try their solutions will fall under one of the following four categories:

1. Band-aids, trying to help as many as they can where they can. They could potentially heal most people, or have them take the medicine continuously over-time, as they will keep getting re-infected.

2. Do something global - "heal everybody". Problem is there are players who won't be there when everybody is healed and will just re-introduce the disease when they come back. I suppose constant global healing is not a Bad Idea, but it is once again a limited solution.

3. Game manipulation: just edit this out from the game and/or ALL characters, whether at the DB level or "on-login".

4. Scorched Earth. Kill everything. Maybe try to restore data from before the "attack" and/or from after with the disease data removed.

It is very interesting to see a feature that does what is intended and yet "runs" out of control. Following this story will be extremely interesting.

        Gadi.