funsec mailing list archives

RE: A bioterror attack in World of Warcraft.

From: Blanchard_Michael () emc com
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 11:18:36 -0400

 Blizzard introduced a problem for themselves with this "plague".  They made
it deadly.  Everquest2 had "the plague" type thing about 6 months ago, it
was up to the players to create a cure and rid the land of the plague.  This
plague was transferable from player to player, but only gave you a few
reductions in stats, it was not deadly.  It was more annoying than anything
else, you'd cough, vomit, get the chills, move slower, have less strength,
less stamina, etc.
    I'm sure that Blizzard could have stopped their plague easily enough,
they chose not to I'm sure, until their scenario played out.  Not quite sure
why they chose to quarantine players and not sure about the finer points of
this scenario, as I don't play WoW, Everquest 2 takes up too much of my time
as it is :-)

    Interesting side line, when my in-game character in EQ2 contracted the
plague for the first time, In-Game, I was hospitalized in real life for
pneumonia, 4 days in the hospital, 2 weeks at home on the couch/bed.  Good
thing my laptop can play EQ2, otherwise I would have gone out of my skull
with nothing to do than watch day-time TV! :-)

 Mike B

Michael P. Blanchard
Antivirus / Security Engineer, CISSP, GCIH, MCSE, MCP+I
Office of Information Security & Risk Management
EMC ² Corporation
4400 Computer Dr.
Westboro, MA 01580
email:  Blanchard_Michael () EMC COM