funsec mailing list archives

Re: U.S. Senate Blocks Patriot Act Renewal

From: "Fergie" <fergdawg () netzero net>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 23:04:27 GMT

Sorry, gotta call 'bullshit' on that one.

I would suggest that you familiarize yourself with the 16 provisions
of the Patriot Act in contention:

 http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/12/16/patriot.provisions.ap/index.html

Disclaimer: I'm also a fervant supporter of the EFF, blgging for
EFF-Austin (Texas):

http://effaustin.org/

- ferg

-- Paul Schmehl <pauls () utdallas edu> wrote:

If you were a *true* conservative, you'd be asking why the government
needs the ability to go into essentially *any* place of business
(including your bank, the library, and anyplace else that you've
exchanged money or ID with), and look at your records, with the following:

1) No judicial oversight. Subpoenas? Warrants? Who needs those?

This is false.  The only part of the Patriot Act that doesn't mandate
judicial oversight is section 501, which has to do with payments authorized
by the US Attorney General of rewards (like the $25 million for Saddam.)
The rest of the act requires judicial approval before they can obtain
anyone's records.

[snip]

--
"Fergie", a.k.a. Paul Ferguson
 fergdawg () netzero net or fergdawg () sbcglobal net