funsec mailing list archives

Re[2]: U.S. Senate Blocks Patriot Act Renewal

From: Pierre Vandevenne <pierre () datarescue com>
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 00:24:43 +0100

Good Morning,

HDK> I'm not sure that a "presidential enemies list" falls under the
HDK> same classification as an axis of evil or terror.

I have to agree here. "Presidential enemies list" does not elicit the
chuckles (or worse) the geo-politically baseless "axis of evil"
expression provokes almost everywhere outside the US. That was a very
crude rethorical showpiece essentially meaning "three places we don't
like". While I totally agree that these places didn't deserve our
admiration, I don't think "axis of evil or terror" actually means
anything.

Korea is an eerie surreal case which you guys aren't going to touch
in any way because of the Chinese and because that would mean a lot of
trouble for South Koreans. I guess everyone will patiently wait until
those crazy Kims die and are replaced.

If Iran was in any kind of axis, that was more an atomic one with one
of your "strongest allies in the fight against terrorism", in other
words Pakistan.

And of course, no link between Iraq and terrorism has been established
(understandably so given how much Bin Laden's people loved Baathist in
the first place)

HDK> government know a little about me so they can solve a terrorist
HDK> plot that might kill me(or you) later?   Hard question to answer...

We are not expected to answer that question. It has already been
answered by better minds than ours

"Those who desire security more than freedom deserve neither."
Benjamin Franklin

--
Best regards,
Pierre                            mailto:pierre () datarescue com