funsec mailing list archives

Re: U.S. Senate Blocks Patriot Act Renewal

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 16:38:17 -0500

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 14:57:23 CST, "Henderson, Dennis K." said:

I guess I'm just a conservative sheep, but I don't see the patriot act
as terribly intrusive on my rights as an American citizen.  If the ALCU
wants to create and protect the rights of terrorists, why don't they
just say so..

You're obviously too young to remember the FBI conducting totally illegal
spying on Martin Luther King Jr. and other people on the president's "enemies
list".

If you were a *true* conservative, you'd be asking why the government needs the
ability to go into essentially *any* place of business (including your bank,
the library, and anyplace else that you've exchanged money or ID with), and
look at your records, with the following:

1) No judicial oversight. Subpoenas? Warrants? Who needs those?
2) No need to indicate that any wrongdoing at all is suspected. Fishing
expeditions hoping to find dirt are totally OK.
3) It's a felony for the person presented with the request to admit that the
request was ever made.

So - since you obviously don't mind that, care to post *everything* you've
ever checked out of a library? Including anything that might land you on some
"enemy of the state" list?  Ever read any Ayn Rand?  And so on...