funsec mailing list archives

Re: Security problems at the NSA Web site?

From: Paul Schmehl <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 14:23:10 -0600

--On December 28, 2005 6:02:32 PM +0000 Barrie Dempster <barrie () reboot-robot net> wrote:

On Tue, 2005-12-27 at 11:20 -0500, Richard M. Smith wrote:
I just tried applying for a job at nsa.gov and got this error message:

https://www.nsa.gov/servlets/iclientservlet/applyonline/?ICType=Panel&Me
nu=ROLE_APPLICANT&Market=GBL&PanelGroupName=HR_RESUME_ADD_APP

I've seen a couple of SQL injection and XSS bugs in the NSAs site. I
notified them to a few different email addresses but received no
response. I publicised one of the more tame vulnerabilities in the hope
it would spur them on to fix the issues the site has but they have
ignored the private and public postings. After publicising that
vulnerability I received a few emails from friends/others with details
of even more vulnerabilities (one of them was the same one you've
experienced I believe). They don't take security of their public site
seriously for one reason or another. There have been lots of speculation
on this from ignorance to baiting and even recruiting techniques. None
of which I'd care to comment on.

Point is they just don't fix it.

Maybe there's a reason they don't fix them......

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member