funsec mailing list archives

Re: Re: Malware sharing? People are full of shit [was: Get your computer viruses here!]

From: Blue Boar <BlueBoar () thievco com>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 13:11:20 -0800

Gadi Evron wrote:
Then let us agree most Bad Guys won't bother with it as they have better
surces?

I think to be completely fair, there will someday be at least one Bad Guy for whom the site in question will be the most reliable source of the desired malware. I'm not saying he's a smart or successful bad guy, just that he has bad intentions and wants some particular piece of malware for nefarious purposes.

Does that constitute failure? I don't think it does. If the userbase is 99% people researching anti-malware, and 1% bad guys, I call that success. if it were reversed, 1% researchers and 99% bad guys, then I would say it was a failure, and should be shut down.

Not a failure in the sense that he has no legal basis nor right to do so, (IMNSHO) but in the practical sense that it is effectively doing more harm than good.

You can also factor in a percentage of stupid people if you like, those with the proper intentions, but lack the skill or care, and infect themselves and others. Many consider them as bad or worse than Bad Guys.

To lump a lot of the (current and ex) AV guys into one small bucket, it has been my experience that they consider the one bumbling bad guy or incompetent good guy to constitute a total failure. AV guys, feel free to defend yourselves against my mischaracterization, if appropriate. To pick on someone in particular, I've seen Nick take some very extreme positions on this kind of thing, for example.

In short, I think Val should continue, and we all see what happens.

                                        BB