funsec mailing list archives

Re: so, is I[dp]S a STUPID technology?

From: Blue Boar <BlueBoar () thievco com>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 14:01:38 -0700

Paul Schmehl wrote:
You''re not understanding. I don't have a *useful* vulnerability scanner. When I say "useful", what I mean is: a scanner that can be scheduled to do routine scans of my address space. To scan for the SANS 20 across my entire network takes the better part of a day. To do that routinely means that one day of *every* week is taken up scanning for that alone. Why that's going on, any other scans will be queued. So I can't do "spot" scans with that tool.

The IPS is updated very regularly, automatically, without me having to do anything except review the report to ensure nothing is being blocked that I don't want blocked.

Am I allowed to abuse the list for market research purposes?

Paul, in theory, is an agent-based system useful to you for these purposes? So that all the boxes can check themselves, and report in continually?

(Yes I work for such a vendor, which I won't mention here, because I'm really not trying to make a veiled sales pitch. Yes, we fall easily outside of Paul's budget requirement, and no, we don't easily solve the problem of random unauthorized Debian boxes popping up.)

                                                BB