funsec mailing list archives

Re: so, is I[dp]S a STUPID technology?

From: Paul Schmehl <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 13:42:20 -0500

--On Thursday, October 20, 2005 14:00:26 -0400 Robert Edmonds <edmonds () cc gatech edu> wrote:

Paul Schmehl wrote:
But, and again, maybe you just don't know edu, it just isn't possible to
patch *every* box and eliminate *every* vulnerability because - while
I'm  typing this to you, so smart 20-year-old CS major is installing a
default  version of Debian on his workstation and he's absolutely
*certain* he has  no exposure to risk because - well hell - it's UNIX!!!
And his box will  get hacked.  And I'll discover that.

Hmm, I'm not sure if I should be offended by this anecdote.

Should I have said, "one of the brainiacs in the McDermott Scholars program"? :-)

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member