funsec mailing list archives

Re: The end of Phishing in sight?

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 16:04:39 -0400

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 19:06:13 -0000, "Fergie (Paul Ferguson)" said:
Federal regulators will require banks to strengthen security for Internet
customers through authentication that goes beyond mere user names and
passwords, which have become too easy for criminals to exploit.

It's maybe perhaps the start of something...

Most likely, the start of pushing a squishy problem around so it's squishing
into someplace else.

Remember - the only thing this will stop is phishing for enough info so that
the phisher can logon to the bank's website.  It doesn't do squat for phishers
that snag a credit card number and use that to order a bunch of stuff, or
phishers that snag a checking account number and use that to do something
devious, or phishers that snag an SSN and use it to...

Ah hell.. What percent of the time *do* the phishers turn around and actually
login to the bank's website? ;)

(I'll bet a large pizza with everything on it that if said rules go through, in
the first 6 months we'll see at least one bank will deploy something meeting
the rules as written, but still totally vulnerable to a MITM attack).