funsec mailing list archives

Re: The end of Phishing in sight?

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 12:29:33 +1300

Chris Buechler to Paul Schmehl:

OK, I'll bite.  Are the banks going to be forced to provide the
readers? Or is online banking going to become a thing of the past?

the banks aren't forced to provide anything to the customer, just must
require two-factor authentication.  I'm sure whatever method the bank
provides will have the associated hardware, any software, and any other
requirements covered by the bank most of the time.  The demand for
online banking combined with competition ensures that this will almost
certainly be the norm.

Which, given the history of banks here at least, means they will
provide it "free", making a big media song-and-dance about how
important their users' security is to them, then put up their bank
fees...

8-)

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald