funsec mailing list archives

When do cellphones send out GPS position?

From: "Richard M. Smith" <rms () computerbytesman com>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 14:02:44 -0500

I have a Treo 650 with an option for sending out GPS location information
only on E-911 calls.  I contacted Verizon Wireless and asked them why the
option defaults to sending out GPS location on all calls.  After about a
week on checking around, their PR guy told me the switch does nothing!  He
claimed that all Verizon Wireless cellphones only have GPS enabled for E-911
calls.

Richard