funsec mailing list archives

Re: FCC v Mom

From: Paul Vixie <paul () vix com>
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 03:39:31 +0000

# E911 legislation requires that ALL US cell network operators implement
# GPS tracking by a particular date, which I think has already kicked in.

fortunately there is no requirement that we keep our cell phones turned on.
therefore if one carries a 1-way (non-2way) pager for inbound calls, and a
cell phone that's usually turned off, one can retain privacy of movement.

this loophole will eventually close, of course.  but by then ubiquitous
802.11 will have arrived, and my nokia-770 will replace my cell phone.  i
hate cell phones, privacy or not, so that day cannot come soon enough!