funsec mailing list archives

Re: FCC v Mom

From: Florian Weimer <fw () deneb enyo de>
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 20:41:43 +0100

* Larry Seltzer:

I'll admit I hadn't heard that it was reporting this data, but do you
actually think companies are going to log it and maintain the data? Doesn't
seem like they'd normally have any reason to do that.

AFAIK, phone companies already log location information for fraud
detection purposes.  The cell-based location data is not exact enough
for 911 dispatching, though, that's why GPS is needed.  When I worked
on these things in 1998, power consumption by GPS receivers was a
significant issue, and continuous location tracking drained out the
batteries very quickly.  We resorted to transmission of location
information only on request or in 5-minute intervals (or something
like that).  Maybe this isn't necessary anymore.

Triangulation in a WiFi mesh is reported being more precise than GSM
cell location, approaching GPS (without selective availability, and
without differential GPS support).  So Paul should better rotate his
MAC addresses randomly. 8-)