funsec mailing list archives

RE: Mac Security

From: "Todd Towles" <toddtowles () brookshires com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 17:06:45 -0600

Nick wrote:
The same applies _in large part_ to Linux systems.  Far too
many "largely security clueless" folk run them in "Win95
security mode"
because "it's easier to do things".  These same folk claim
that they use Linux because "it's more secure", but then run
everything as "root- equivalent".  The number of
virus-infected ELF binaries I pull off compromised Linux web
servers suggests that the security opinions of anyone who
says "there is no real Linux virus/malware threat" can be
completely and totally ignored...

You speak the truth my friend, any system is open to attack if not
managed correctly and by a person that have enough knowledge to weight
the security risk correctly. Just look at these defacement stats -
http://www.zone-h.org/en/stats - 58.1% are Linux servers, 19.7% are
Windows 2003 servers.

Linux admins that don't think they can be hacked are just mis-imformed
it would appear. I am by no means a Linux expert (I barely see myself as
a Linux admin), but I know that if I was going to put a Linux server on
the internet, every service that was accessible would be Chrooted,
looked at for excessive global write permissions, unneeded services
would be disabled, remote root login would be disable, unneeded Apache
mods should be removed or disabled, etc, etc.

And I am not even sure how to do 100% of those things (very little
experience in chroot jails), but then against I don't admin Linux
servers...if I had to, I would find out really fast. ;)

-Todd