funsec mailing list archives

RE: Mac Security

From: "Todd Towles" <toddtowles () brookshires com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 13:56:17 -0600

BB wrote:
Todd Towles wrote:

<cut></cut>
-There have been Mac viruses around for many years, what is
the reporter smoking?
-Using anything besides Windows at this point will keep you
from being vulnerable to a large volume of attempts.
Something approaching 95% of the attacks in the wild are
aimed at Windows boxes.
-From what I've seen of OS X vulnerability research, I'm
seeing a lot of the kinds of bugs that other unixes were
suffering from 5-10 years ago.
  I.e. Apple has some lessons to learn the hard way, still.
-There are always lots of local priv escalation vulns to be
had -But malware doesn't need to be root to spread

Agreed, Apple haven't had any big security problems thrown in their
face, but if they ever do..they might have some catching up to do. That
is exactly what talking about the issues now can reduce...pretending
they don't exist isn't protection. The sense I get (as a non-Mac user)
is the following -

Many non-tech windows users know MS has problems...but many just don't
have the skills to reduce the threat and they rarely defense MS OS in
public

But OSX fans will fight to the end for their Apple in the public
forums..even if they have no big tech information on the issue. Most
tech Apple users, like yourself, see the issues and know they will be a
problems if not watched after....just seems many in the Apple would
haven't see the truth yet...but they will risk death defending a myth.

-Todd